Creating these covers from a favourite shoot image is getting quite addictive! They all share a common technique that can be used in Photoshop, GIMP or any other image editing application that supports layers and masks. It’s the same sort of technique used to create clone images.
- Open the source image, making it the bottom layer.
- Add your title text across the top
- Make a duplicate of the image layer and move it to the top
- Add a black layer mask to give full transparency
- Pick a white feathered brush
- Paint on the mask where you want elements of the image to overlap the title text
- Use the same technique to show/hide elements of other text and images you add