Instead of the silver bounce reflector I will be using a large beauty dish. One of the old Bowens bowls has been adapted with a home made diffuse reflector and flash mount.
I’ve been watching more and more TED.com talks and was pleasantly surprised to find this talk by photographer and digital artist Erik Johansson this evening. Enjoy!
Noun: Twisted silk or cotton with cord or wire running through it, used chiefly in upholstery.
Offensive. A physically handicapped or lame person.
But for many photographers and digital artists it has a different meaning. If I hand you a file with _gimp in the name it’s to make it clear to me that the file is the edited version not the original!
GIMP is the “GNU Image Manipulation Program”Read More
I’m wanting to get back into the studio for an ALL WHITE shoot. White clothes, white backdrop. With as many people as possible, men, women, any ages, previous experience not necessary. Possibly two photographers and multiple people in front of the lens at any time.
- Do you fancy being part of a group shoot?
- You can get to Bromley in Kent for a Sunday shoot? Date TBC
- Do you own enough white clothes, shoes, hats, accessories, etc to put together a head to toe white outfit?
Just before Christmas my daughter created a collage of cover images from Canada’s “Fashion” Magazine and MMS’ed it to my iPhone. It’s a great image with a lovely mix of colour with one of my favourites at the top of the stack – a pink dress. It got me doing my own Google search of magazine covers. I was slightly surprised in the patterns I found. Some used the very restricted colour schemes in order to give a consistent branding from month to month. Others stuck to the magazine name at the top but were otherwise happy to change layout, fonts and colours to suit the cover image.
Looking at them all helped focus my mind on one thing – Read More
I’ve seen what “finding your colour” in clothes can do for people, having had it done for free by a stylist one evening at a Goldmans Sachs event many years ago. Pink shirts make me look healthy while some other colours make me look washed out and quite unwell.
While watching an American TV show on quick fixes for medical issues a presenter gave an alternative to bleaching with hydrogen peroxide also based on the use of colour.Read More
Aldwych tube station closed 30th September 1994. According to Wikipedia “The music video for The Prodigy’s song “Firestarter” was filmed in the disused eastern tunnel and one of the unused lift shafts”. I suddenly have the urge to visit the site. But according to a TechRadar post by Amy Davies this evening they’ve banned dSLR cameras!
A Digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) is a camera with moving mirror that allows the light to be diverted into a view finder until the shot is taken at which time the light passes directly to the image sensor. (Hence the “reflex” name – light being reflected). My 10MP Canon G11 pro-compact will go to f/2.8 and has an ISO range of 80-3200, better than some old dSLRs and would be allowed without question? If I took the mirror out of my old 40D and used Live View to compose the shot it wouldn’t be an SLR any more and would technically, by their own rules, be allowed? A theory worth testing if only to prove a point.
Looking for prints and downloads?
Looking for a Wedding Photographer? Please click here for sample images from previous clients.
Last 20 Blog Posts
- MCM ComicCon May 2016
- Getting back into the studio..
- MCM Comic Con 2015
- Let sleeping dogs dry – OlloClip test
- Thank you Sarah Louise Madison! Photo with Steven Moffat
- Snaps from MCM London Comic Con May 2014
- “Waiting for Green” – G11 at the ready
- Video triggers flashback to studio time with Lucy Cates
- Google doodle tribute to Sir Norman Parkinson, father of Modern Fashion Photography
- No covers for 2013.. yet
- Google Authorship – Get your face out there
- Ben Bo
- She brought a bit of colour to a grey London day
- What is LOVE?
- The sound of an air kiss? MUAH not MWAH!
- My local studio: Snappy Snaps Bromley
- Drop the camera, grab the mouse and relearn about light
- Thoughts of clothes like a resilient parasite?
- Last of the MARKSE 2012 “Covers”
- First image from Novembers All White shoot